What are School Accountability Committees (SAC’s)?
In Colorado each school has an accountability committee (SAC) to advise school staff on budget, school improvement plans and other workings on the local school level that includes a liaison to PTA. SAC meetings are open to all members of the school community and include teacher and community member representation.
- Each school is responsible for establishing a School Accountability Committee (SAC) and should consist of at least the following seven members:
- The principal of the school or the principal’s designee
- At least one teacher who provides instruction in the school
- At least three parents of students enrolled in the school
- At least one adult member of an organization of parents, teachers, and students recognized by the school (Your PTA!)
- At least one person from the community.
- SACs must select one of their parent representatives to serve as chair or co-chair of the committee.
- Generally, a parent who is an employee of the school or who is a spouse, son, daughter, sister, brother, mother or father of a person who is an employee of the school is not eligible to serve on a SAC. However, if, after making good-faith efforts, a principal or organization of parents, teachers and students is unable to find a sufficient number of persons who are willing to serve on the SAC, the principal, with advice from the organization of parents, teachers and students, may establish an alternative membership plan for the SAC that reflects the membership specified above as much as possible.
What are School Accountability Committees (SAC’s) Responsible For?
- Making recommendations to the principal on the school priorities for spending school moneys, including federal funds, where applicable.
- Assisting the district in implementing at the school level the district’s family engagement policy.
- Assisting school personnel to increase families’ engagement with teachers, including families’ engagement in creating students’ READ plans, Individual Career and Academic Plans, and plans to address habitual truancy.Making recommendations to the principal of the school and the superintendent concerning preparation of a school Performance or Improvement plan, if either type of plan is required.
- Publicizing and holding a SAC meeting to discuss strategies to include in a school Priority Improvement or Turnaround plan, if either type of plan is required, and using this input to make recommendations to the local school board concerning preparation of the school Priority Improvement or Turnaround plan prior to the plan being written
Publicizing the district’s public hearing to review a written school Priority Improvement or Turnaround plan.
- Meeting at least quarterly to discuss whether school leadership, personnel, and infrastructure are advancing or impeding implementation of the school’s Performance, Improvement, Priority Improvement, or Turnaround plan, whichever is applicable, and other progress pertinent to the school’s accreditation contract. (Note: This should not in any way interfere with a district’s compliance with the statutory requirements of the Teacher Employment, Compensation and Dismissal Act.)
- Publicizing opportunities to serve and soliciting parents to serve on the SAC.
- Other parent and community engagement opportunities as decided upon by SAC members.
- Providing input and recommendations to the District Accountability (DAC) and district administration, on an advisory basis, concerning principal development plans and principal evaluations.
Jeffco District Accountability Committee (DAC)
District Accountability Committee (DAC) is a district level accountability and advisory committee with parent representatives from all articulation areas including charter and option parents, PTA, at least one member of the business community and district staff. DAC members act in an advisory capacity on such topics as the district’s budget and unified improvement plan as provided by law. Members have the opportunity to hear updates on district issues/efforts and provide input on many topics
The Jeffco PTA has a liaison position on the Jeffco DAC. To learn more about the work of the Jeffco DAC- http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/about/board/district_advisory_committees/dac/